Capital Projects Review Committee
The Capital Projects Review Committee is established as an advisory committee to the University President or the president’s designees for the review and evaluation of proposed capital projects. The Committee will make recommendations to the President or designees regarding the approval, modification or disapproval of proposed capital projects along with priority and timing of projects. The committee will follow the policy and process defined in the “UI Capital Project Request Process,”
The committee will meet on a bi-weekly basis or as needed to address the capital project planning requests of the University of Iowa.
1. Review will include:
- project need assessment
- strategic plan fit
- Campus Master Plan fit
- Cost / benefit analysis
- financial feasibility
- determination of funding sources
- impact on cost of University operations
- impact on operational budgets
- impact on cost of education
- potential impact on bond agency rating and debt capacity
- sensitivity analysis of critical variables
2. The Capital Projects Review Committee will ensure involved stakeholder interests are represented. The Project Sponsor (college or unit requesting the project) will participate directly in the Capital Projects Review Committee discussions.
3. The existent Campus Planning Committee role is unchanged by this policy statement regarding the process for requesting Capital Projects. The University Operations Manual Section 10.081 defines the Campus Planning Committee membership and Section 10.082 articulates its charge. The Associate Vice President for Facilities Management continues as the liaison to the Campus Planning Committee.
4. Quarterly reports regarding the deliberations and recommendations of the Capital Projects Review Committee will be made available to Vice Presidents, Deans, Directors and others based on their level of interest.
5. The Capital Projects Review Committee will determine and evaluate potential alternatives to the proposed project.
6. The Capital Projects Review Committee may engage both internal and external consultants as needed.
7. The Capital Projects Review Committee will be assisted by the Project Financial Analysis Subcommittee in conducting a detailed financial review of the proposed project.
8. The Capital Projects Review Committee will be assisted by the Project Physical Development Analysis Subcommittee in conducting a detailed review of design issues related to the proposed project.
9. Capital project requests associated with grant funding proposals for facility renovation or construction will receive expedited processing by the Capital Projects Review Committee. The Vice President for Research or designee will be expected to participate in these deliberations.
10. The Capital Projects Review Committee will develop a process to evaluate projects post construction to determine whether stated goals were achieved, needs met, and outcomes were consistent with analysis conducted. This evaluation is intended to ensure the process is truly functional and appropriate.
Direct participation of project sponsoring units (e.g. Collegiate Deans and relevant Vice Presidents) is expected. The chair of the Campus Planning Committee will be provided regular progress reports of the Capital Process Review Committee and participate directly as needed.
Joe Hibbard - Sasaki & Associates - campus master planning consultant
Dave Ricketts-parking and transportation implications
Terry Johnson-funding availability
Diane Machatka-space utilization analysis
Steve Fleagle-information systems implications
Don Guckert-campus planning committee coordination
David Kieft-contractural and lease implications