Burge Hall

Burge Hall

 

 

burge Residence hall

Adelaide Burge

Honoree: Adelaide Burge
1876-1947

Achievements:

  • Served as UI dean of women, the sixth (and last) dean of women, from 1920 to 1944, and as dean emerita until her death in 1947
  • Iowa City native and graduate of both City High School and the UI, Burge taught high school Latin and English before marrying in 1902
  • At Iowa, she long advocated for adequate women’s housing

Description of facility:

In 1958, a $5.5-million, five-story residence hall was constructed just south of Currier. When it opened, it housed some 1,289 women—the largest of the halls to date. The hall was named for Adelaide Burge, the sixth (and last) dean of women. She had served as dean from 1920 to 1944, and as dean emerita until her death in 1947. An Iowa City native and graduate of both City High School and the UI, Burge taught high school Latin and English before marrying in 1902. At Iowa, she long advocated for adequate women’s housing. The Burge Market Place dining facility opened in 2005, and a $9 million wing was added in 2009 with four coed floors. Burge now houses 939 residents, both men and women, and is the second largest hall on the east side of campus.

Address: 301 North Clinton Street
Year built: 1959
Additional building information: Burge Hall

Burge Hall