Finkbine Club House

Finkbine Golf Course

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Finkbine Golf Course

W.O. FinkbineHonoree: W.O. Finkbine
1857 - 1930
(photo courtesy of University Archives, F.W. Kent Collection of Photographs)


Achievements:

  • Received his B.Ph. in 1878 from the State University of Iowa
  • In 1925, the university opened its first golf course on land donated by Mr. Finkbine and named it for him
  • The university awards a medallion recognizing “learning, leadership and loyalty” during the annual Finkbine Dinner, started in 1917 by W.O. Finkbine and Virgil Hancher.

 

Description of facility:
Located on the western edge of The University of Iowa campus, just walking distance from Kinnick Stadium and Carver-Hawkeye Arena, is Finkbine Golf Course. It is the full-time practice and competition site for the Iowa women's and men's golf teams. The University maintains Finkbine's lush tees, fairways and greens with its totally automated irrigation system. The system features dual row piping, which not only streamlines the irrigation to the center of the fairways, but supplies water to the outlying areas, as well as to much of the rough.

Address: 1380 Melrose Avenue
Year built: 1965
Additional building information and map: Finkbine Golf Course

Finkbine Golf Course

(photo courtesy of hawkeyesports.com)