Phillips Hall

Phillips Hall

 

 

 

phillips hall

Chester A. PhillipsHonoree: Chester A. Phillips
1882 - 1976

Achievements:

  • Chester A. Phillips served as interim president of the University of Iowa in 1940, between the administrations of Eugene Gilmore and Virgil Hancher
  • Served as the first dean of the University of Iowa College of Commerce (1921-1950)
  • Phillips retired as dean in 1950, at the age of 68, but continued a rather full schedule of reading, writing, and advising for twenty more years
  • Phillips Hall was dedicated in his name in 1966
  • Credited with pioneering bank credit theory, and his work has been a standard in textbooks on banking and finance
  • Served as the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business president in 1930-31, as an economist for the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago from 1937 to 1942
  • Additional information

Description of facility:
Phillips Hall was built to house the College of Business Administration. Since its founding in 1921, the then College of Commerce had vastly outstripped the facilities available in its first home, Jessup Hall. The move across Clinton Street provided a more functional facility until growth forced yet another relocation, this time to the newly built John Pappajohn Business Building in 1993. It now contains foreign language and literature departments within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Address: 16 North Clinton Street
Year built: 1965
Additional building information: Phillips Hall

Phillips Hall