Stanley Hall

Stanley Hall

 

 

 

stanley hall

Carrie StanleyHonoree: Carrie Stanley
1886 - 1962
(photo courtesy of F.W. Kent Collection, University Archives, University of Iowa Libraries)

Achievements:

  • Carrie Stanley earned her B.A. from the University of Iowa in 1912, and took her M.A. in 1915
  • She joined the faculty of the State University of Iowa English Department in September 1920 as an instructor; taught composition and was promoted to associate professor during her career
  • Established a writing laboratory in 1934 to provide additional aid to students who were struggling with that subject.  Professor Stanley's laboratory methods were copied at writing labs nationwide 
  • After retiring from the University in 1954, she taught at schools in Lone Tree, Iowa, until May 1962 

Description of facility:
Stanley Hall, a 10-story, $2.5 million facility opened on a limestone bluff to the west of Currier in 1966. It had been planned as an addition to Currier—it was sometimes called the Currier Hall “annex”—and indeed it is connected to Currier at Currier’s ground and basement levels. The hall’s lounges offer panoramic views of the Iowa River and the north side of Iowa City. The building’s namesake is Carrie Stanley, who earned UI degrees in 1912 and 1915 and served as professor of English from 1920 until 1954. In 1945, Stanley began directing the Writing Lab (now the UI Writing Center). She died in 1962. Stanley Hall originally housed 563 women, but became coed in 1991. Today, it is home to 384 residents, and the entire building is designated as a “quiet house.” The building is connected to Currier Hall with easy access to Burge Hall and Burge Market Place. Stanley Hall has a high-rise feel with lounges on each floor, most of which offer a panoramic view of the Iowa River.

Address: 10 East Davenport Street
Year built: 1966
Additional building information and map: Stanley Hall

Stanley Hall