Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory

Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory

 

C. maxwell stanley hydraulics laboratory

C. Stanley MaxwellHonoree: C. Maxwell Stanley
1904 - 1984

Achievements:

  • C. Maxwell Stanley earned his BS in 1926 in General Engineering, MS in 1930 in Hydraulic Engineering, both from the University of Iowa
  • Owner and President, Stanley Engineering Company, a 700-member international multidisciplinary consulting organization
  • Co-founder of HNI Corporation (formerly HON INDUSTRIES, Inc.) which is an office equipment manufacturing industry
  • C. Maxwell and Elizabeth M. Stanley created the Stanley Foundation in 1956
  • Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the American Consulting Engineers Council. Member of the National Society of Professional Engineers, the Iowa Engineering Society (Honorary Member and Past President), the Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, and the Consulting Engineers Council/Iowa. The first Chairman of the UI Foundation's President's Club and was a member of the Foundation Board for nine years, including four as Chairman.
  • Distinguished service and support to the UI

Description of facility:
The C. Maxwell Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory, also known simply as the Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory (SHL), was designed as a wet laboratory for hydraulic engineering research and teaching. Before its 2002 renovation, it contained scale models of hydraulic structures such as rivers, dams, and culverts. There were also flumes, weighing tanks, measuring basins, and a pump room. The experimental channel that originally fed water from the Iowa River through the sub-basement was later converted to a 290-foot-long model ship towing tank. In 2003, the Hydraulics Laboratory was renamed in honor of 1926 engineering graduate C. Maxwell Stanley. The structure is home to the College of Engineering’s IIHR—Hydroscience & Engineering.

Address: 320 South Riverside Drive
Year built: 1919
Additional building information: Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory

Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory