The University of Iowa

Daum Hall

Dr. Kate Daum

Honoree: Dr. Kate Daum
1892 -1955 
(photo courtesy: F.W. Kent Collection, University Archives)


  • Director of Nutrition at University Hospital
  • Professor in the College of Medicine from 1926 until her death in 1955

Daum Hall


Description of facility:
Daum was built in 1964 and was originally an all-women residence hall. Although the $1.77 million addition, which opened in 1964 for women, often was referred to as “baby Burge,” it eventually was named for Kate Daum, director of nutrition at UI Hospitals and Clinics and professor in the College of Medicine from 1926 until her death in 1955. Ironically, declining enrollment nearly closed the hall in 1991. Looking to save operating costs, UI officials decided to shut it down. An uptick in housing demand (and perhaps some of the loyal and “squeaky” residents) prompted the university to reverse the decision, and the hall remained open. Today, the entire building is designated as a “quiet house” and is home to 293 coed honors students. Residents enjoy easy access to the adjacent Blank Honors Center and can travel by underground tunnel to Burge for meals.

Address: 225 North Clinton Street
Year built: 1964
Additional building information and map: Daum Hall

Aerial View of Building