The University of Iowa

Gilmore Hall

Eugene A. Gilmore

Honoree: Eugene A. Gilmore


  • Eugene Allen Gilmore served as the twelfth president of the University of Iowa, from 1934 to 1940
  • Served as Professor of Law, and on July 1, 1930 was named Dean of the College of Law
  • Professor Gilmore taught constitutional law and was considered an authority in that field.
  • During President Gilmore's nearly six years in office, four buildings were constructed on campus: the Law Center in 1935; the Art Building and University Theatre Building in 1936; and Hillcrest dormitory in 1938
  • Following his retirement as UI President, Gilmore served as Law Dean at the University of Pittsburgh from 1940-1942, and then again taught at the UI College of Law until 1952

Gilmore Hall


Description of facility:

Built to house the College of Law, Gilmore Hall provided that faculty a suitable space after years of overcrowding in the Old Capitol. It was eventually renamed after Eugene A. Gilmore, dean of the College of Law, who went on to become president of the University of Iowa (1934–1940). 

  • Department of Religious Studies
  • Graduate College
  • Sponsored Programs
  • UI Research Foundation

Address: 112 North Capitol Street
Year built: 1910
Additional building information: Gilmore Hall

Aerial View of Building